Monday, September 3, 2012

G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy

G.K. Chesterton; Orthodoxy
For my Philosophy & Theology class, we were to read the chapter "Prophet of Mirth" by Philip Yancey and find a quote to write a response to.


Phillip Yancey creates so many highlight-worthy points in G.K. Chesterton: Prophet of Mirth. A difficult task to pick one, I chose from page xvii.
“Evil’s greatest triumph may be its success in portraying religion as an enemy of pleasure, when, in fact, all the things we enjoy are the inventions of a Creator who lavished them on the world.”
To understand this quote, it had been necessary to read what was written prior to it. He expands on the idea that pleasure is created by God. Christians often seem to forget a reputing argument against atheists who ask “Well what about all the bad things in this world?
So tell me, what about all the good things in this world?
I grew up as a Lutheran. A similarity between Lutheranism and non-denominational-ism is the idea that pleasure will turn bad. For example, never had I once stopped to think enjoying money is a good thing. It is still cemented in my brain that it will be an AWFUL and despised thing in God’s eyes if I enjoy it.
What Yancey has to say is Chesterton gives an insight on the fact that  God didn’t HAVE to us pleasures. But he did. To make up for the hurt? I’m not sure. Either way, I am unsure of a world without it, and just hurt. Perhaps he gave us pleasure through hopes that we will notice God as a good God. A loving father, who grants us with gifts, and who trusts us to not abuse them.

-Alexis 

1 comment:

  1. I was just reflecting on this. It stood out to me because it was such an inspiring look at Christianity as a whole. Glad to see someone else caught this idea and shared it, though I am 8 years late, I thank you for posting this for the world to see. God bless!

    ReplyDelete